Tuesday, August 1, 2023

Backpacking Luxuries!

 




When I go backpacking, I like to keep it simple.  If space and weight is an issue, you can have your first meal be the more rewarding meal.  However, there's an abundance of food you just add hot water to like Zora meals, dehydrated or freeze dried veggies, chicken stock sealed with vinegar, etc.  I chose a Zora meal quinoa and beef with epic Bison bar cut up and extra yellow rice with uncle Ben's seasonings added in for meal #3 for dinner.  Check the ingredients always!  Many have dairy or gluten!!  My first meal was some local smoked salmon. GfDf of course!  My #2 meal or breakfast was the chicken stock (no fridgeration needed), dehydrated veggie mix, Chicken Sriracha Epic bar cut up, and 2 packages of sea weed Lotus foods Ramen with their white gfdf miso seasoning.  




A quick note is to double check the ingredients on the seasoning packets.  There's an instant pho I bought at Costco in Seattle I presumed was also GF when I visited my mom in Colorado Springs.  It was not!!  So read the labels carefully.  You can also smash the noodles to fit more in your bear bin.  Don't forget to put any scented items inside and seal so the animals and bugs don't get them.  Even the trash!  Pack it in, pack it out!!






Pro tip!  You can skip the washing by pouring in fresh water and cooking with your next meal.  The water can help make stock for the next meal when heated to a boil.  One less trip to the creek or whatever.  Our water source was a ways away, so water was precious.  If you need water, try to find running water, avoid stuff in with it, and boil it real well for 30 seconds to sanitize.  


You can use the creek to help cool down the water for drinking.  It can take a bit to refill a camelback.  Don't add the water into the bladder until it is lukewarm.

Disclaimer: I am not endorsed by any of the brands I bought, but I'm all for sponsorship. 😉

No comments: